I decide not to use Survey or Questionnaires to explore more about my research. Regarding this topic, I choose to interview two different people from two different fields and different experiences about their working environments which relates to Non Verbal Communication. I admire the way both of these people work, their performances and how they deal with their staffs. Perhaps, in the end of my research, I am capable to understand and combine all of my research to focus on which part I should proceed.
Fariz Hanapiah
Art Director for Motiofixo
What is your perception upon non verbal communication in art?
Non verbal is something not related to words which means speaking meanwhile, we convey it through other types of medium. When we create something which are not straight forward, we require viewer to think and develop ideas about the subject. When they think, it invest more time, thoughts and efforts in the artworks. Effort is something when the viewers put themselves in the artworks, to understand the concept. And then it stuck in their heads because they have to analyze, think and accumulate the understanding. Example, the difference between watching movie and reading novels. When you read Harry Potter, you visualize how he looks like in your mind. You create your own world about the story, the environment, the structure of the building. We decide the imagination while watching Harry Potter on cinema, other people has build up the design and concept for us.
What do you think about stereotypes?
Stereotypes comes from perceptions which can be find everywhere, what we think. I create many ideas and outcomes, in the end I ll choose the best. At first stage, we create something which might imitate others which our designs might look alike with other designers. I do many research in analyzing other designer's project so then I will try not to make almost the same outcome as them. At second stage, we can see the sense of our identity combining with other designer identity and at the last stage, when we capable to develop a platform for ourselves, we are going to create our own identity. When people see it, people know its yours. Never admire or satisfy your own artworks/projects. Stereotype is absolutely normal.
How do you find ideas in conveying non verbal communication in your works?
I take a look at other designers work but not too many, because I do not want to follow their signatures. When you get a project, learn from its fundamental and onwards. Study the concept and try to move from logical thinking. If we put wallpaper at the wall, what if we put it on the ceiling or on the floor? We can create various kinds of not normal way to create interesting outcomes.
What about symbol?
Every symbol has its own story. It is something like - long story compact in one symbol. Simple symbol is easy to understand but the message is limit. While complex symbol is hard to understand but the message inside has not limit. Its good when people see the symbol, they understand. For us as a designer, it is quite difficult to create a symbol that simple, easy to understand and has no limit messages. I got influence by 1980' retro music and style cool factor. When I hear the retro music, I can create designs based on that songs, I mean I visualized the song into a design.
How many percentage that your works include non verbal messages?
It depends on my clients. Basically client tend to choose the safe side, they are more into straight forward messages instead of abstract.
Mohd Ishak Bin Amir Hussein
Director of Financial, Procurement and Development Department
What people say is often different from what they think. We have all learned that honesty is not always the best policy. keeping your cards close to your chest is seen as the most basic workplace survival strategy. Let say, between this two; Good performances but not having good body language or Bad performances but having good body language. Which of both above will get better chances to get promoted, raise salary and more positive excess?
There is SKT (Sasaran Kerja Tahunan) where two bosses will asses you and they will give you marks regarding your work performances. There is new system which whoever want to get promoted, they have to the exam. The questions is based on their work experiences - if they do management, there will be management thingy questions. Sometimes, the answers are not even written in the books, it based on our knowledge, understanding in skills and experience.
What types of body language or face expression that you give to your staff when handling works, in a meeting or at least to make sure they do the work?
Seriously, if you want to express feelings through anger and voice tone, people will bring you down. They do bad things to you to revenge. Explain about the work task with appropriate tone, good facial expressions, it might help people who works under us to feel comfortable. We can categorized which part should we talk to them publicly, spontaneous or privately face to face. There is no point mocking or provoking anyone.
If you're in a meeting, by seeing your chairman facial expressions or his/her body language, can you expect the outcomes of the meeting?
Yes, we can assume and expect the outcome of our chairman's facial expressions. If he or she starts showing unwanted facial expressions, you might as well start to beware (laughing)
Does it appropriate to express feelings unprofessionally in meeting to deliver our inner feelings?
No, it is not appropriate but if things regarding the works is getting worst, we have no choice. Deciding results and outcomes through emotions is not good. The bad feelings might affects the results to be worsen, decide intolerance deadline for projects and perhaps it might break working rules.
Do you agree physical impression given by service sector is becoming important linked with awareness and success?
Yes, I do agree. If we are in product industry we have nothing to do with impressing customer, we just have to sell the product. While service sector, we are giving services to people. Body language can't lie, they tell everything to our customers about us, about our identity. When we do our service professionally, we accept complaints from outsiders it helps to build our image. Example, if a receptionist convey her/his services with smile and good attitude but if she/he do not know informations that we ask, someone else might covered the answer for her. But, if he/she has no smile, looking so moody add up with no knowledge, people will complaint.
**I cant provide too many details here about people I interview due to privacy.


No comments:
Post a Comment